Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis?



Hopefully I'm too young for that. Even if it is, better a Fender Jazzmaster than a sportscar. I've obviously had music on the brain pretty heavily lately. After 20 years of playing drums, I've decided to pick up the guitar as well. I've always tooled around on guitars, but I've decided to persue it a bit more. I'm ready to be new at an instrument all over again.

While I'd love to get the Jazzmaster pictured above, the reality is I'm going to get a Fender mexi Telecaster like the one pictured below. Price is right, and I just love the sound of Telecasters. Pardon me here, but Steve Cropper fucking rules; don't know how else to say it. The Tele feels really playable and it's just a no-nonsense, bare-bones iconic workhouse. Think Joe Strummer, Keith Richards, etc. I'm stoked.



Thanks for tolerating my deviation from all things surf. I'll get back into that. Finally got the wetsuit, back in the water. The Andreini is done and I'll post more about all of that in the near future. Just need to mix it up a bit right now.

8 comments:

pranaglider said...

I wouldn't worry about the departure from the surf topic. A lot of the surfers have duel addictions. Nice axe!

Unknown said...

as a mulit-instrumentalist, all I can say is enjoy! Guitar shopping is as addictive as board shopping, watch out!

Anonymous said...

Man, you are absolutely right about that. I have been obsessing the same way I do about boards. Thanks to you both for the comments. Helps to feel a little less crazy.

unidentified said...

Telecasters are the shit. My buddy had a mint pre CBS creme colored with the whammy bar. The thing screams memphis. And yes Cropper is god as well as Alex Chilton's Big Star period sound.I t might be Strat but the debate is out there on one of the most beautiful sounds on LP which would be Jackson Brown's picking sound on Nico's version of his song
"These Days".
As for the Jazzmaster? Another of my faves as well. Saw Tom Verlaine
solo years ago. Talk about uniQue?
Yer posting my thoughts.

6ftnperfect said...

have you been to Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad? Guitar Nirvana...

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images24000-24999/ugb24947-fendertelecustomll/index.html

Anonymous said...

WJ, that tele your friend has sounds incredible. Where did you see Tom Verlaine solo? Television was an important band in my eyes.

And Clay, I'm all over Buffalo Bros. this weekend for sure!

unidentified said...

Seen him 2 times at McCabes Guitar shop in W. LA. right before he put out the instrumental LP "Warm And Cool". Have you heard the live double Television LP "The Blow-Up"?
Amazing 15 min. version of MarQuee Moon. (on my podcast)

vasco said...

well i have them both...i mean not the jazz master the JAGUAR and a 72' tele custom...for the surf sound the Jag is it...the 72 with the humbucker and the single coil plays about anything you want...
Alan is right buying guitars is like buying surfboards...