Monday, December 17, 2007

Treat, 1970



Early Santana always takes me back to growing up in PL, playing in bands, backyard parties, etc. And for me it is also linked to surfing in the winter. Not sure why. To me it's just the sound of that area of San Diego, and we listened to it constantly on the way to surf sessions at OB or the cliffs. Beginning in my early twenties I pretty much shelved my Santana records and didn't listen to them for a long time. I was too into raw soul, funk, hip hop, jazz, etc. Plus, I don't think Santana has recorded a decent record since the late 70's and I had listened to all of the good ones until they were indelibly burned into my brain. Maybe I needed a break. Recently I began listening to my old records again, and I have to say it's been nice revisiting the warmth and soul of Santana 1, Abraxas, Santana 3, Welcome, Lotus, etc.

Anyway, here's a Treat from 1970. A more obvious choice would be Black Magic Woman, or Santana at Woodstock doing Soul Sacrifice. Both of these are great, but Treat is just such a gem. I hope you enjoy it.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

Red hot!
Makes me want to through a single fin in the truck and head down to San Blas or points further south, a la Stoner & the boys.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for checking in.

unidentified said...

nice choice.
Michael Shrieve at Woodstock is still a mind bender. Age 16 i believe.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. He was an absolute phenom at Woodstock and always had a great feel. The original/early lineup with these guys is by far my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I read on wiki that he was one year out of Serra High at Woodstock, putting him at 18 or 19 - regardless, mind bending as you say. I love the way he simply walks off like it's just another solo, no biggie to him.

Unknown said...

So classic. I know what you mean, PLHS 78-80 Santana was it. I just listened to Moonflower coming home from work. That was one of my favorites in college. My roomates would crank it so loud I could here it from the CalPoly SLO campus five blocks away... thanks for the share stoke...j

Anonymous said...

Moonflower indeed. Glad you guys dug the post!