Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back

Man, it's been two weeks. Way too long. I think I've apologized enough and won't get into excuses. Though I have been cheating and started another blog related to the business we are in the process of launching. The business has been taking quite a bit of my time and I've basically put surfing aside in a big way. You think I would have learned not to do that by now; that's never a good thing to do. But, even worse is not knowing exactly WHY I've cast it aside and I'm beginning to feel like a kook. No matter how busy you get, you can always make time for a session. Now, if the weather and water were nice and warm would it be an issue? Am I, at nearly 38 years old, becoming somewhat "fair weather?" My gut tells me no, but why haven't I been out for an early morning session in a while? "Because it's fucking freezing" you say? True, but that never stopped me before.

Anyway, I'll stop. But I realized that by pushing myself to get back into the mix with the SB1000, it forces me to reconnect with surfing no matter what. It also gets me back to visiting all of your great blogs (which I've been missing). By not being in the mix, I missed out on Andrew Kidman at the Pod Room, or again tonight with Richard Kenvin at Patagonia Cardiff. So, no more. I either jump back in full-force or pull the plug entirely. I don't want to be the guy with one of those blogs that languishes forever (that I still check anyway?).

Hope you're all doing well and getting waves.

jb

8 comments:

Surfsister said...

Homie, it's not that cold. Get your ass back in the water! Me and my African blood get out there (without booties or headgear). If I can do it, you can!

I'm glad you're back!

jb said...

Yeah, but check that glorious natural covering you have on your dome. I don't have that. I was really talking about morning sessions more than anything, but it's still a lame excuse. It's never been an issue in many years of surfing.

Anyway, thanks for checking in and the reassuring words at the end.

Unknown said...

Hey jb...
congratualtions on starting your own biz.
I helped my wife open her own salon just two years ago, and i know how tough it can be, which is why i'm commenting.
Do yourself a massive favor and make sure that you are 100% ADA compliant, even if it requires hiring a pro compliance inspection.
Even if you are compliant, you stand a strong risk of being sued by a slimy lawyer names theodore pinnock. He has sued thousands of SD businesses.
With ADA suits, it is a civil matter. You wont get fined by the city or things like that. what happens is a discrimination suit is brought saying such and such handicapped person could not access your business (a lie), and therefore is due compensation for being "discriminated" against.
Even though these suits are frivilous, and even if you are compliant, you end up spending a lot of time and money just responding to and getting the suit dismissed. Preempt that by making sure you are compliant, then alert this dick that you have made your new business compliant so that he doesn't pull his shakedown lawsuit bullshit on you.
Please feel totally free to contact me anbout this or anything else you might have question about when opening a new biz in SD. We went through it all.
Good luck, I will try to drop in once your open!

Anonymous said...

Alan, thanks so much for the comment. Yeah, I know a few people who have been nailed by that guy, but your point really hammers it home, especially because South Park is an older area of town and compliance can seem a little vague. I may indeed hit you up for more info. on this since you guys dealt with it directly. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to send that info.

jb

6ftnperfect said...

Glad you are back, but really, 38??? Are you frikkin kidding me? You should be trunking it!

BTW, Andrew Kidman was sick and didn't show at the Pod Room, but his partner brought the book. It was rainy and cold with low turnout although could have picked up after I left.

borntoloser said...

I love South Park! My wife and mom love tea! A pilgrimage is in order. When is your imminent opening?

I'll get you back in the water. you like big fish, right? I have a 6'8" Lis fish (amazing board) that needs to be test ridden:)

Unknown said...

no problem jb.
You literally don't need to spend more than a hundred bucks to be compliant.
All you really need is the fed code for the law and have your architect review any fixtures in your biz and make sure they are of the correct height and width for whatever it is (if can't work a tape measure, which I'm sure you can), and have some signs made.
It's really that easy, but the law is so flawed it's really easy for shysters to take advantage too. The law is also vague for ways to get around knocking down the whole building, but that works in your favor. The big thing to be aware of is that there is no auto immunity from being "granfathered" in. Don' take it for granted that your lamdlord is responsible either. He'll sue all of you.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Alan, thanks again.

Andy, that Lis sounds insane! I would love to get on that thing. I haven't been completely out of the water. I surfed last week, just not nearly as much as I need to. Also, we're looking to open late March. I'll keep you posted. I think your wife and mom would dig it.

Clay, you're a ballbuster—damn! But you're right. I did I say I was being a bit of a kook!

Anyway, thanks all.