Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thoughts on Extras?



I read Pezman's take on One CA Day in the most recent TSJ. I always dig his thoughts on things and I thought he raised an interesting question as to whether or not the film lived up to its amazing trailer (and even better "Making Of..."). In the end he liked the result. It's hard to complain too much. Nice soundtrack, crisp CA color on 16 mm, and some nice surfing. Yeah, it wasn't a perfect piece, but I too enjoyed it and ended up buying it. Not to be on Thomas Campbell's jock, but I still think he has that corner of surf films on lock; better than any others I think. I'm talking just overall effort of music, footage, aesthetics, etc. Still, one thing that still seems to be hurting in most surf films is good narration. Anyway...

Does 1 CA Day live up to the trailer? Like I said, I like it, but those sneak peaks were especially hot. Nothing new as many trailers can be "juicier" then the end result. My question to those of you who have it is whether or not you feel the DVD extras lived up to expectations. Undoubtedly some good stuff, but it isn't a substantial extra offering. Did it actually warrant a 2-disc package? I felt like I either wanted more in-depth extras or everything on one disc. What do you think? I don't want to be all suspicious, but I hope they didn't just beef up the package to sell it. Sprout seems to have more overall extras on one disc. But, I don't really know anything about DVD production and there could be a good reason. Any info. out there?

Damn!!! Pete Rock and CL Smooth just came on at WeFunk (I-Tunes radio) as I'm typing this.

11 comments:

R.T. said...

as far as putting the movie on 1 disk and the extras on another... it could have been done so that the encoding of the movie could be done at the highest data rate possible, thus a better quality image, but bigger file size. to run the highest data rate for the movie, plus fit the extras on the storage space of just one disk, they might have run into the problem of having to run too low of a data rate (for smaller file sizes) on the encoding of the extras resulting in crappy looking extras. Just looking at the high production value of the film itself, i'd guess it was a picture quality issue.

Anonymous said...

See, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I am clueless about. But, I should have figured as much seeing as it is a quality offering. Thanks, r.t. for clearing up the questions related to my own ignorance. When I think about it, it's kind of like putting out hip hop records as double records with fewer songs per side for better signal/volume/quality, right? Seems obvious now that I think about it.

unidentified said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
unidentified said...

But, my friends JB and RT, I would've gladly sacrificed Gamboa's haircut for that amazing Rivermouth footy!!!!
Damn Star bar was so freakin' good that swell and many after.
Good point about the LP thing also.
12" disco singles for instance.
Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder's
Love To Love You Baby sounds amazing
and is Quite long.

Anonymous said...

Indeed. How in the hell did the Rivermouth footage not make the final cut?

borntoloser said...

Great flick- a little too much talk, not enough rock. Definite missing pieces- big wave rider, competition nut, Aerialist, alternative equipment dude (by proclamation: hulls and fish are no longer alternative, sorry!)

6ftnperfect said...

I saw it in the theater and liked it a lot, but didn't buy it. So I have not reviewd it in detail. The one thing I found odd, is that it only had one woman surfer, and she isn't that well known. Since it was about California surfing in general, how could they not acknowledge that so many women now surf? Seems like they could have found a few to profile, Kassia and Daize come to mind, but they have been filmed a lot. There have to be others. What do you think, is there some unwritten law of surf films that it won't sell as well with women in it? Do most guys really think they are that much less interesting to watch? I'll concede I've never seen any doing power surfing like the top male pros, but women like Belinda Baggs are pleasing to watch surf. Seemed like it couldn't have been an accident to exclude them.

Anonymous said...

True, and for many, boards like fishes, etc. were never alternative at all. Alternative for me is a 6'2" Thruster.

So, on your point Andy, what could work as alternative now? There is indeed a lot of interesting stuff out there. You've been posting some great things on your blog. What would you have liked to see more of?

Anonymous said...

Oops, my comment was directed to Andy above and Clay got in there right as I was posting it.

I agree that more women would have been cool. It could have worked to have a lesser known woman tied to a region of California. T. Campbell has done pretty well featuring women. I thought his Lady Slide section of Sprout was a great part of the film.

borntoloser said...

I get what you're saying about a 6'2 thruster being personally "alternative"...

I think my problems with the film have to do with my preconception of what the film's intent was. I kind of initially misinterpreted it as "this is the state of surfing in California". Probably the film I would've liked to have seen with historic content intact. Instead the film was "this is the surfing life of these few individuals in different regions of California."

It would have been killer to see some bodysurfing (wedge/boomers), kneeboarding (TheLounge), mat riding (ken McKnight et al.), bodyboarding (Many hollow spots), shortboard shredding (usual suspects), log tip riding (check!), glider gliding (a trip to the cliffs, anyone?), fishy flying (check!), hull rail turning (Check!), bonzer gouging (Tknox?) etc...

But I think this is another film in my mind's eye, not OneCalDay. Still liked the film.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sounds like we need to get busy and make a film!