Sunday, September 9, 2007

Surf/Music V. 1

Selecting music to get amped before a session is a ritual observed by surfy types for decades. Have the wrong music in your head and a session can go badly. For example, as other dads may know, the award for stickiest music on the planet goes to every kids' recording ever made. Hear a children's CD once and it burrows into your brain like a relentless earwig (just go with it). And let me tell you, there is nothing like getting pounded on a good size day with Elmo's theme song pumping loudly between your ears. It can just make things extra frustrating. The Eagles do the same thing to me (sorry fans).

Anyway, keeping things on a positive note, I thought I'd list some of my choice music/surf pairings. Since there are so many possibilities, I'm going to keep it quick and simple. So, here's Volume 1 in an ongoing series.

Maybe it's the early Bruce Brown movies with classsic Bud Shank soundtracks, but it's clear that stylish surfing and jazz just work together. For example, if you're in the mood for this kind of session:
(Dickie Moon at Blacks by Ron Stoner)



Then this is one example of a record you may want to check out:



Herbie Hancock's jazz catalog consists of several classic recordings made for Blue Note Records. Check out more about him if you're interested. A lot of people know him mainly from his 80's classic "Rockit," but there's a whole lot more to this master. Any of his Blue Note records are foolproof. And if you're into funk, check out his stuff on Columbia through the mid-70's.



This was the second of his records I bought. Inventions and Dimensions has a Latin tinge that never gets overbearing. It is a beautiful mix of a master composer playing with a few master percussionists, all supported by Paul Chambers on bass. Mr. PC played bass for Miles Davis and John Coltrane (to give you an indication of what a badass he was himself). This title is undoubtedly my favorite pre-70's Herbie record.

So, what are you listening to before a surf?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It's funny, cuz pumping up tunes used to be a big part of my presurf.
So did going with friends.
Now I tend to surf alone (by choice), and despite the fact that I'm a big music fan in general, I don't really have pre surf music pump ups anymore.
What used to be really mega played in the old days:
Angel City - Face to Face (album)
Red Ryder - Lunatic Fringe
Devo - Freedom of Choice (album)
Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier (album)
Dead Kennedys - everything!
Bauhaus - everything!
Not exactly "surfy" huh?

Surfsister said...

Coltrane is god! And so is Rundgren! Okay, so is Marley! Okay, so is Billie Holiday! Oh, never mind.

Wave Farmer said...

Oregon Coast Radio...

Typically consisting of ELO, Seals & Croft, Bad Co., Chris Cross, ZZ Top, Eagles, Boston, Sniff & the Tears, America, Rick Springfield, and the like...

jb said...

Alan, any sideways haircuts during the old days? I still have all of my old Dead Kennedys records.

Yes, Sister. Coltrane is on his own plane, that's for sure. Hard to communicate about him with words.

Hmm...Oregon Coast Radio. ELO, Christopher Cross, Seals & Croft? Suddenly I'm in the back seat of the Firebird running errands with my mom.

Daniel said...

Go man go! Some in trim jazz tracks for wave sliding:

Herbie Hancock: Eye of the Hurricane
Ahmad Jamal: Wave
Grant Green: Down here on the Ground
Jimmy Smith: Root Down
Burrell & Trane: Freight Trane
Oliver Nelson: Stolen Moments
Ray Barbee meets the Mattson 2: Lomging of the Leftist

Anonymous said...

Daniel,

Word!

jb

6ftnperfect said...

JB, whenever the Eagles get into my head I invariably get a Joe Walsh riff in my head and the next thing you know I'm reliving Rocky Mountain Way and all is good. I never really listen to anything specific pre surf but if I get good waves for some reason it amps me up for really loud rock on the ride home.

jb said...

Clay, thanks for the advice on the transition to Rocky Mountain Way. I can definitely hang with that.

Anonymous said...

What gets me going:

"Soul Sacrifice", Santana

"Tube", Phish

"Sun/Rise/Life/Flies", Kasabian

"Right Here, Right Now", Oasis

"Here I Come", The Roots

Erik Olson said...

My favorite Herbie Hancock is the Headhunters album. I'm actually not so familiar with the ones you've mentioned so I will have to take a listen sometime when I have the chance.

unidentified said...

nice post.
If you got a drive to do for the dawn, like me, it's always a great psych up to have control of your music mood.
Lately?
Jim White; "Perfect Day To Chase Tornadoes"
Dr. John; "The Nightripper"
Kraftwerk...

DP said...

Agreed - Jazz definitely keeps it mellow - in and out of the water. The only place I won't listen to it is at work - some things are sacred ;)

My choice: Hank Mobley - Straight No Filter, cover to cover...