Saturday, September 22, 2007

When Will It Get Here?



I think TSJ is the best surf publication of all time. I'm serious; I fiend
for the Journal and always go through withdrawals after I finish the current issue. I put it in the bathroom to go through it again with a fine-tooth comb as if I missed something the first go-round (I didn't). When this begins to fall apart I retreat into my back issues and start the same exploratory process. I soon realize that I've picked everything to the bone and it's time to occupy myself until the next issue. This whole deal intensifies when the new issue is released and mine hasn't arrived yet.
I see it at the store just sitting there on the shelf, but I don't pick it up and thumb through it. This would mess with my ritual, so I wait until my own copy arrives. When I do get it I don't just jump right into it (sick, I know). I wait until I have an open space of time, say when my wife and daughter have gone to bed. Then I dig in and start the whole process over again. Sound pathetic? Maybe.

This looks like it's going to be a good issue. Any feedback yet? I'm particularly interested in the David Eggers article.

3 comments:

6ftnperfect said...

All I know is that that cover shot is stellar. Personally, I always had problems with their subscriptions so now I just go into B&N, get a nice fat cookie and settle into an easy chair in the corner for a couple of hours. Yeah, I know, cheapskate.

Daniel said...

I used to try that convert bookstore read, but in the end I'd always end up at the cash register.

Is that Dave Eggers the author or Dave Eggers the surfer?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, solid cover shot for sure. Clay, what were the problems you had with the subscriptions?

Daniel, it's David Eggers the surfer, but the other Dave Eggers is indeed interesting too.