Saturday, February 16, 2008

From the Stacks



Yeah, the B-52's have had their day. They're still out there playing, but I'm talking about 1978–1981 or so. This first album is so damn good! I'm not thinking Rock Lobster (which was endearingly quirky in 1979), but cuts like 52 Girls and 6060842! I broke this record out after not listening to it for years, and I forgot how good it was. For a combo out of Georgia in the late 70's they were tapping into the right stuff. Throw in the old keyboards, cheap guitars, and you got a signature foundation that worked very well with the vocals of Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson. Funny, when I first saw this as a 9 year-old kid the album cover kind of freaked me out in ways my early Kiss records never could. Not sure why. But New Wave Theater and the Dead Kennedys soon took care of that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Strobe Light was always my favorite from the B's.
DK - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. One of my all time fav albums period.

unidentified said...

52 girls! Yup.

R.T. said...

when that album came out, my brother and i were pretty young and took it along with us to an "adults" party our parents were dragging us to at their biz associate's house. at some point in the party we threw it on the turntable. the "adults" were a little tripped out when my brother and i started doing the worm on the livingroom floor— a memory that feels so ancient, yet so quickly flashed to by seeing that album cover.

jb said...

Fresh Fruit is indeed one of my favorites too. And, r.t. I had the same instant kind of flashback when I saw the cover again. Not doing the worm in the livingroom, but you know what I mean. That's a pretty classic account.