Monday, February 4, 2008

I Want to Like This



But I can't say that I do. I know there was much more to the guy than surfing, but I guess I wanted less debauchery and more surfing—especially the early days of him on the super-short space sticks. It is cool to get some info. via the interview with him, but even that gets hard to read. I still haven't bought the book and don't know if I will. I've picked it up and put it back several times. I do like Brewer and Stecyk. Any differing opinions? Anyone have it? What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It bothers me that so many surf journalists love to glorify drug use/abuse (have not read or seen this book though). I read a bio of him a while back probably surfers journal and after reading it I was saddened and could only think, what a waste of a life. Of course, if I had inherited boatloads of money at that age and time, I easily would have ended up the same way, so I'm not passing judgement on him.

borntoloser said...

I'm fascinated by the mind of someone who went to such short, radically different boards and rode on the knees and standing. The book is a bit pricey though. Library?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that Andy. That's the stuff I wanted to know more about. Like anon. said, the whole drug-addled tragic story is a familiar tale of wasted potential. We have heard/seen that a lot, and it would be nice to have had more in-depth info. on the earlier days.

Ian said...

Haven't seen the book. But my dad grew up with the guy and he has some pretty classic stories about him.

Joanie + Ryan said...

I think its pretty entertaining and the photos are great. Although his life was short lived and seemingly down the wrong path to most people, including myself, to me it was a good story... and I'm always down for a good story. I got to interview Art on this book for a small UK magazine as well so hearing first hand from him this story was a pretty cool experience. Would have loved more surfing photos though.... it was orginally just supposed to be a Rolling Stones article....