Monday, February 25, 2008

New Deck



Kinda dorky, but I'm stoked on this new deck I got for my birthday. I had this same board when I was 15 in a different colorway. I must confess I fell to the resurgence of old(er) guy skaters a couple of years back and got a deck, new 151s and a set of original NOS Santa Cruz Bullets. It has been fun! But that's been on a Mike Valelly reissue, and his model was just after my time. I mellowed on skating when I broke my finger and drums were more important to me at 17.

Anyway, we used to dig watching Steadham in the keyhole at Del Mar. Other skaters may have been more technical, but he had great flow. Check this recent video of him at Encinitas. 45 years old and still pretty damn tight. Nice railslide at :15.

4 comments:

brownfish said...

Here is my one Steve Steadham story from 21+/- years ago. We just got done watching one of the comps at Del Mar. We were in the parking lot and everyone was crowding around Steadham cause they could see decks inside his VW Hatchback. So he pops the hatchback up and it hits my head as it comes up. He looks at me at I say, "Man, you should give me a deck for that," so he hands one over. I grab it, then death claw it and duck and cover as I weave my way out of the crowd. That Steve, he's a cool cat.

Anonymous said...

Classic.

Erik Olson said...

Ha! Great story.

Classic deck JB. Killer rail slide in that clip.

I'd love to get a hold of a Schmidt Stix Rip Saw reissue (if there even are any), that was a magic deck for me back in the day.

Anonymous said...

Erik, they're making those for sure. I know what you mean about the magic deck. The Steadham was my second favorite behind the Lance Mountain Future Primitive model. That reissue was limited and harder to find. Maybe they'll put it out again.