Monday, October 1, 2007

Red Sled







My 7'0" egg shaped by Scott Henry. Check out Scott's blog where he is just starting to post pictures of his boards, customers, etc. He plans on updating consistently, so be sure to check it out. He has images of some incredible boards he's been making. He's been totally committed to board-building since 1972.

There's an interesting story about the Red Sled. I saw an identical 6'9" version of this board on the racks at Mitch's last year. While I often see boards in shops that attract my eye, the 6'9" grabbed and wouldn't let go. My wife and I were there and I almost made the impulse purchase, but I didn't. After obsessing over it for two weeks I went back in to buy it one day and it had a note on it that said, "Save for Daisy." Okay, who the HELL was Daisy, and why did she want the board I was ready to buy on the spot? Someone said she was getting it for her husband, something like that. All I could say was "lucky bastard." Not to be deterred, I ordered a 7' version of the board on the spot, same tint and everything. Scott said he'd have the board done in 10 days. I didn't believe him, but on the 10th day the phone rang!

Long story short, guess who Daisy was? That lucky bastard husband of hers ended up being me. My wife wanted to get it for me as a Christmas gift. It all worked out in the end. I got the 7'0" and the 6'9" eventually sold off the rack. I am indeed a lucky bastard.

2 comments:

6ftnperfect said...

Good story! Did you name the board Daisy?

unidentified said...

Jb send me a mail to this account and i'll send you the individual Marvin drum trax by mail so you can have them!
burdenoffreedom@gmail.com