Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thoughts on Shape Off?



I'm planning on heading to the Sacred Craft surfboard show this weekend. I have high hopes for a good event. One of the things that has me interested yet slightly puzzled is the Tribute to the Masters Shapeoff. Mike Diffenderfer is indeed a legend, master craftsman, and respected icon of surfing. I would love to own one of his vintage craft. I just think the idea of copying a shape of his and then judging who does the best job is just a little odd. I know replica shapes are an important part of our surf culture history; I'm all for it. It just seems strange to take a replica and then judge it based on what...whoever is closest to the original? Not sure if that's the exact criteria. Again, I'm not judging the idea or calling it a bad idea, I'm just unsure if I'm for it or ambivalent. I guess I would love to see shapers taking an existing shape and applying their own design ideas/concepts based on personal interpretation. Maybe this is what the plan is. What do you think?

4 comments:

pranaglider said...

I agree with your comments and had the same apprehensions.
But I tend to over think this stuff.
The probable out come will be some shapers getting to together "talk some story", shape some Diffenesque boards and drink some beer. Maybe the boards get auctioned off to some rich guys to put on their office wall. Some of the money goes to charity etc. Go check out the boards, if possible look at some of Diff’s actual shapes. Think back to what was going on in the surfing world during that time and try and appreciate his contribution.

Anonymous said...

Well stated.

Unknown said...

I had the same thought, "why"?
I guess to add more "interest" to the shapers challenge.
maybe so the casual observer can see the finished product and learn how to achieve it?
Or, can they replicate a master shape in an hour and a half?... I know I can't.
TM should be done in about half an hour... lol.
Then you have a well known shaper shaped blank ready for sale based on a classic Diff. Dual purposes, i guess.
All I know is I'll be glued to the portable shaping room the whole time I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Chris Christenson obviously makes some very nice surfboards. I don't mean this the wrong way, but if I was him I'd feel a bit weird judging guys like Terry Martin, Jim Phillips, and Marc Andreini.